The stroke review timeline and process
This page outlines the timeline and process of the stroke review so far and gives more detail on the immediate next steps.
Latest progress: Identifying the recommended preferred option (September 2018)
On Monday 17 September, 2018 we published details of the recommended preferred option for the location of three hyper acute stroke units in Kent and Medway.
The preferred option is to have hyper acute stroke units, alongside acute stroke units, at Darent Valley Hospital in Dartford, Maidstone Hospital and William Harvey Hospital in Ashford. The preferred option was identified following careful consideration of the responses to a public consultation, all the evidence and data gathered during the four-year review, and further detailed evaluation of five shortlisted options including trust proposals for implementation.
Developing the decision making business case (DMBC) and making a final decision
The next key step in the process is to develop a decision making business case (DMBC for short). This will be a detailed document updating the pre-consultation business case. It is the document in which the CCGs show that they have properly considered all the responses to consultation, examined all data and evidence gathered during the review of stroke services, and reviewed any further options that may have arisen. There is a considerable amount of work involved in developing the decision making business case and supporting documents and it will take some time to finalise it.
A draft of the DMBC was reviewed by the South East Clinical Senate in early November so we could get expert feedback from independent stroke specialists on the plans.
The DMBC will then be assured by the national NHS bodies, NHS England and NHS Improvement to check that we have set out our plans in sufficient detail, followed the correct process and have robust financial plans in place.
Following national assurance, the Joint Committee of Clinical Commissioning Groups for the Kent and Medway Review of Urgent Stroke Services will meet to make a final decision on whether to move forward with the implementation of the preferred option. We are aiming to have everything ready for the Joint Committee to make a final decision by January 2019. Further details of the date of the Joint Committee meeting, how to register to attend the meeting as an observer, and the papers for the meeting will all be published on this website.